The following are a few examples of how a compounding pharmacist can customize medications based upon a doctor’s prescription to meet a patient’s needs:
• Customize strength or dosage.
• Flavor a medication (to make it more palatable for a child or a pet).
• Reformulate the drug to exclude an unwanted, nonessential ingredient, such as lactose, gluten, or a dye to which a patient is allergic.
• Change the form of the medication for patients who, for example, have difficulty swallowing or experience stomach upset when taking oral medication.
Compounding pharmacists can put drugs into specially flavored liquids, topical creams, transdermal gels, suppositories, or other dosage forms suitable for patients’ unique needs. Compounding does not include making copies of commercially available drug products, as this is not allowed by law.
Pharmaceutical compounding is performed or supervised by a pharmacist licensed by a state board of pharmacy.
City Drug is a Compounding Pharmacy
Pharmaceutical compounding is performed or supervised by a pharmacist licensed by a state board of pharmacy. Our pharmacists receive additional special training to what is taught in pharmacy school. While most pharmacies offer some level of compounding, most compounding is done in pharmacies that have made the investment in equipment and training to do so safely and efficiently. The preparations offered by City Drug are nonsterile (ointments, creams, liquids, or capsules that are used in areas of the body where absolute sterility is not necessary).
According to American Pharmacists Association (APhA), of the approximately 56,000 community-based pharmacies in the United States, about 7,500 pharmacies specialize in compounding services. City Drug is one of only a handful of pharmacies in Wyoming that offer compounding services.
Compounding Can Help You
City Drug, in consultation with your healthcare provider, will make custom compounded medications to help you in –
• Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy, For both Men & Women’s Hormone Imbalances
- Testosterone, Estrogen, Progesterone, DHEA, Cortisol
- Nerve, Muscle (Spasm), Superficial
- Pets, Livestock – In forms that pets will take – flavored medicine in click dispensers
• Weight Loss
Call City Drug at 307-789-4000 to be walked through the process to get you started on your custom-made compounded medications to help in your healing and wellness.